Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pizza Surprise and Musings

Today we had Pizza Surprise. Daughter7 named it. She asked what we were having. I told her I didn't know, but she wanted a name so I called it Pinwheel Surprise. After seeing how it was made and what was in it, she called it Pizza Surprise.

I Pampered Chef-ized dinner. I took two packages of refrigerated crescent rolls and laid them out points to the center to make a circle. I mixed the leftover spaghetti sauce and cheesy hamburger together and spread it over the rolls not all the way to the edges. I then took the leftover chopped tomatoes, and spread them over the sauce. I took what was left of the shredded Colby cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese and spread them over the tomatoes. I then rolled the edges of the dough over everything leaving a little uncovered in the middle. I finished it by sprinkling a little more mozza cheese on the crust. I baked it at 375 for 20 minutes. Served it with cottage cheese, green beans, and Mandarin oranges.

dad-ate the surprise when came home
daughter7-ate everything
son5-ate cottage cheese, green beans, and oranges
son3-ate green beans, oranges, and couple chunks of pineapple
mom-ate surprise, green beans, cottage cheese, and pineapple (I don't like oranges)

Dinner was good. I was surprised that daughter7 ate the surprise. She is usually doesn't eat things like that. Dad said it was probably because she thought of it like pizza. I wasn't surprised that the boys didn't eat it. They got their vegetable and fruit. It was a great way to get rid of the leftovers in my refrigerator.

Now for my musings. I know it has only been 12 days of this, but I am feeling discouraged. I was having fun for a little while when I was making dinner tonight. That fun was from finding a creative way to use up leftovers. But it was short lived. I let other concerns drown out how I felt for the ten minutes it took to put dinner together.

I find it hard to cook when it is just me and the kids eating. I feel like I can't cook certain things, because I know I will be the only one to eat it. I get tired of eating what I know my kids will eat everyday. I like variety. I have found that when we all work together after dinner to clean up the kitchen, I enjoy the process more. When I'm the only one pushing the kids along to clean, I get frustrated and end up cleaning it myself, because it is easier. Defiantly not as much fun.

Does loving to do something mean you always have to love doing it? Does loving it more times than not count? Do I simple need to get over this hump and things will start to get easier just out of virtue of putting in the constant effort?

I do know one thing for sure. I still have a long way to go.

1 comment:

Nettie said...

Way to be creative! It sounds a lot like those Italian things they sell at Sbarro's. Calzones, I think?

I think of myself as a person who "likes to cook", but often I just don't feel it. I seem to go through phases where I am more into it than others, both during the week, as well as over several weeks. Especially if I am tired, or really busy, or just not feeling well. I don't think I've ever regretted it when it was "leftover night"! We had that last night, in fact. Tonight I still don't feel like cooking, so we are having waffles. I probably will pull soup out of the freezer for tommorrow. That's part of the reason I never plan my meals for specific days. I never know if I will feel like cooking that day or not.

I hope the cooking spirit comes back for you soon!