Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Chili

Today was a cold snowy day so chili seemed like the perfect dinner. I took the recipe I found for chili seasoning and altered it a bit. I am looking for a simple but good chili recipe. Maybe this blog will help me find it. Here is what I did today:

1 lb of hamburger, browned
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp seasoned salt
1 tsp cumin, ground
1/2 tsp oregano, ground
1 beef bouillon cube
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Mixed ingredients all together then added:
1 (15.5 oz) can Mexican style Chili beans
3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (pint) jars canned tomatoes

I put it in my slow cooker on medium for about 6 hours.

I also made:
rice
corn bread
caned pears
(the tomatoes in the chili was our vegetable)

dad-said chili and corn bread were good; ate everything but rice
daughter7-ate everything except rice; even started a second bowl of chili; no cheese on top
son5-ate some of chili with cheese, ate corn bread and pears
son3-only ate pears
mom-not what I am looking for in chili; try adding onions and more tomatoes

leftovers: everything

How I felt about cooking dinner-nice to have in slow cooker so I could forget about dinner for a while. Felt good to have day one started.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey have you ever tried the chile seasoning packets? That is what I use to make chile. I add 1 jar of canned tomatoes, 1 can of beans and some beef broth.

CaGeSJaMToo (aka Sam) said...

I have used the packets, but I have so many seasonings that I feel like I should use them.