Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A New Start

I have a goal for 2008. I want to learn to enjoy cooking for my family. Yes, I will admit it. I don't like to cook. I heard a friend of mine say that one of her sons asked her what she didn't like about being a mom and she said the cooking (my sentiments exactly). Her son then told her that since she had a lot of meals still to cook she should learn to enjoy it. I have thought of that a lot since I heard her say it; and realize that I need to do the same. There are A LOT of meals that need to be cooked in my home for the next several years, so I might as well enjoy it.

As part of my effort in this goal, I have started this blog to track my progress. I have the goal of cooking a good meal for my family for five of the seven days of the week. The last two days can be leftovers, a frozen meal, order in, or go out, or someone else cook. Each meal will have a vegetable and a fruit with it. My husband stayed with a family a couple of summers ago and admired that they had a vegetable and fruit with each meal. Seems like a worthy goal as so we will officially start that too.

Each day I will blog what we had for dinner and how it was received. For each person that eats, I will report on how well they ate it. I will describe each person as follows: dad=dad, daughter7=7year old daughter, son5=five year old son, son3=almost 3 year old son, mom=me. I will also post things I will changed for when I make it again.

So here we go!

1 comment:

Nettie said...

I like the fruit as well as a vegetable idea. You'd have a better chance at serving something that everyone likes.

I get weary of cooking, too. Some things I do to make it better are make double batches of anything that freezes well, so we have them just as often, but only have to cook them half the time.

I also like to try new recipes. They are more interesting to me, but then my family sometimes complains about my experimenting on them.

Another thing I do is assign kids to be in charge of dinner. I let them decide what they want to cook, and then help them learn how to cook it. It makes it really nice once they learn how to cook some things by themselves.